Location: Campbell, California
Job Type: Full-time
Who are we?
We’re a rapidly growing team in the Silicon Valley construction space located in Campbell, California. We have a 30-year legacy in construction and our sole focus is on making a positive impact on the California housing crisis. At Acton, we design, navigate, and build accessory dwelling units (ADUs), also known as backyard homes. These ADUs help create accessible housing options for thousands of homeowners across the Bay Area, while positively impacting people’s lives.
Ultimately, we strive to infuse Silicon Valley culture into a traditional industry. We believe in these fundamental truths:
We work together.
We care about people.
Who are you?
Growing up you’ve always had an instinct for residential design and now as a professional, your finger is on the pulse of industry trends. Residential Design. Innovation. Efficiency. People. The art and science of building design, construction, and helping people. These are your mantras. You’re creative, but understand the freedom of working within structure. You’re a great listener and eager to work with city planning and building departments--because each time you get better at it and continually make friendly connections.
As an Acton Designer, you’ll be part of a collaborative team of designers, ADU evangelists, and building professionals. You’ll have a steady flow of projects and be responsible for the creation of floor plans and architectural drawings that meet our client’s motivations, needs, and budget expectations; as well as delight the people we work with.
The Designer serves as one of the main customer contacts throughout the project. In addition to following the construction of the project, collaborates with the production crew to find great design solutions for real-world building challenges.
You’ll get to show your skills and make a huge impact at one of the fastest growing design-build teams in the Silicon Valley.
- Work directly with clients and lead design development.
- Manage all aspects of design by regularly conferring with the client to determine factors. affecting planning interior and exterior environments, such as: budget, architectural preferences, lifestyle, family size, purpose, and function.
- Advise client on interior and exterior design factors such as space planning and how that relates to city regulations.
- Develop graphic sketches to convey design intent.
- Evaluate site conditions and constraints for construction project, including but not limited to: inspection of crawl space, attic, roofing, and other structural and architectural components.
- Conduct design meetings/presentations.
- Develop complete detailed construction plans
- Review engineering and other consultant drawings to ensure they comply with design intention
- Permits: submitting for, managing the process of, and obtaining all permits
- Bachelors of Residential Design or equivalent experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fantastic people skills
- Extensive knowledge of architectural principles, aesthetics, and space planning methodology and ability to independently drive a project from start to finish
- Strong structural design background
- Extensive knowledge of building systems and codes
- Proficiency in: Revit, CAD
- Proficiency in: Google Drive, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
About Acton ADU
We take care of our team members:
Acton Construction is like no other company in its industry. The company has all of the things you’d expect, like a competitive salary; great medical and dental insurance; generous vacation/sick leave policy; and a matching 401(k) program.
But here’s what we really love about life at Acton Construction and Acton ADU:
- We are driven by having a lasting impact on the world and knowing that our time is spent positively impacting the lives of others. We are doers, because we know making a direct impact matters when it comes to achieving our mission of solving the housing crisis.
- We are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that spurs innovation and creates a meaningful and impactful work environment.
- We have fun together at our weekly team meetings, company-sponsored family events, great culture and work environment, and a super cool CEO.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We extend equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic disposition, or any other reason protected by law.