Location: Campbell, California
Job Type: Full-time
Who is Acton ADU?
We’re a rapidly growing team in the Silicon Valley construction space located in Campbell, California. We have a 30-year legacy in construction and our sole focus is on making a positive impact on the California housing crisis.
At Acton, we design, navigate, and build accessory dwelling units (ADUs), also known as backyard homes. These ADUs help create accessible housing options for thousands of homeowners across the Bay Area, while positively impacting people’s lives.
Ultimately, we strive to infuse Silicon Valley culture into a traditional industry. We believe in these fundamental truths:
- We innovate.
- We work together.
- We care about people.
Who are you?
You’re a hands-on leader. You’re a bags-on builder with excellent carpentry skills like: framing, cabinetry, and finish carpentry. You’re a supervisor, a leader who can guide and direct Acton ADU team members, subcontractors, and support teams to complete projects efficiently and quality consistent with the Acton ADU standards.
You take pride in your craftsmanship and in the end product, but also in the process and the positive effect you have on everyone you work with as a project proceeds.
More than anything you’re looking for a home and a team for many years to come. A team that will invest in you as much as you invest in them.
A successful Acton ADU Foreman Carpenter owns their work and manages customers, subcontractors, and support team members on site.
Your primary objectives are to:
- Work with the Project Manager to determine how to best complete project carpentry on budget and on schedule.
- Oversee other carpenters and support teams needed to complete project carpentry.
- Ensure the craftsmanship on each project meets Acton ADU standards.
- Ensure the entire production team is conducting themselves with the Acton ADU values and mission in mind.
- Maintain a safe work environment.
The following skills are required to be considered for the position of Foreman Carpenter at Acton ADU.
- Excellent carpentry skills in at least one the following: framing, cabinet installation, and finish work.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and construction documents
- Truck and full set of tools
- Multi-tasker - ability to anticipate the needs of the carpenters around them and provide them with the resources they need to produce high quality work at an efficient rate.
- Good basic math skills
- Basic understanding of scheduling, ability to maintain and plan their daily activities.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work, including lifting 100 pounds
- Driver’s license and good driving record.
The following are core responsibilities of every Acton ADU Foreman Carpenter.
- Labor: You are responsible for performing any labor required by the Project Manager.
- Support Teams: You are responsible for the performance of your carpentry team, including journeymen, apprentices, and laborers.
- Trade Contractors: It is your responsibility to assist with ensuring that all trade contractors adhere to all of the company’s policies and procedures concerning safety, customer satisfaction, cleanliness, alcohol and substance abuse, etc
- Deliveries: You are responsible for ensuring that all deliveries are correct and accurate and undamaged. It is imperative that you check such things as door swings, window sizes, cabinet sizes and types, lumber type and grade, shingle color, etc. before you sign the delivery ticket. Delivery truck drivers are to wait for your inspection, as your signature approves the condition and count of the order. Any discrepancy or damaged goods must be noted on the delivery ticket and contact the supplier immediately for a correction. Job personnel are not to pick up materials unless doing so is absolutely necessary.
- Housekeeping: You must maintain a clean work site. This is important for many reasons, chief among them are your safety and efficiency. Furthermore, a sloppy site reflects negatively on your work and on your company. Broom-clean all project sites daily. Properly store and/or promptly haul away all debris. Do not smoke nor allow trade contractors to smoke on the job site unless previously approved by the clients. You must protect the client’s property from dust and mud according to company standards. Trade contractors are to follow the same housekeeping rules.
- Safety: One of your top priorities is job safety for both the client and the workers. Ensure safe job-site conditions by monitoring both company and worker equipment for proper safety features, safe electrical cords, etc. And inform your manager of any unsafe conditions that you are unable to control yourself. Proper safety equipment and precautions must be used where appropriate; do not allow corners to be cut where safety is concerned. Safety is paramount.
- Scheduling: It is your responsibility to know where and when you will be working prior to the start of each day.
- “Paper” work: You are required to fill out your electronic time card and report project status to the Project Manager before leaving the jobsite each day.
Planning and Reporting:
The Foreman Carpenter reports directly to the Project Manager.
Acton ADU Culture:
What to expect at Acton:
Acton ADU has a special culture. A collaborative, values-first team focus that creates a strong environment for improvement and advancement, as well as produces the highest quality or work.
- You will have a voice – we listen to you and take ideas and feedback seriously.
- You will have interesting, challenging work – you won’t be bored.
- You will be on a happy team, in a happy environment, where everyone feels free to be themselves and have their needs met.
What our team loves about Acton ADU:
- We are driven by having a lasting impact on the world and knowing that our time is spent positively impacting the lives of others. We are doers, because we know making a direct impact matters when it comes to achieving our mission of solving the housing crisis.
- We are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that spurs innovation and creates a meaningful and impactful work environment.
- We have fun together at our weekly team meetings, company-sponsored family events, great culture and work environment, and a super cool CEO.
Full-time employment with Acton ADU includes:
- Full health and dental insurance
- Above market wages
- Paid vacation
- Professional development
- An opportunity to be a part of a growing, developing organization
- A supportive, engaged staff in the office eager to support you
How to Apply:
Please send us your resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please include a short paragraph on a job you’ve done that you found particularly rewarding.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer:
We extend equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic disposition, or any other reason protected by law.